Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Orientation/clinic

     So over the past week and a half I've been up on Mentone on the mountain at CSR. The days of the clinic at Skyline were long and..well, I've never wanted to get off a horse in my life but, after 8 hours of riding everyday for three days..it gets old. Quick. We had to teach three lessons. One ground, and two riding. Lets just say I'm not the most organized teacher. haha. I come up with the best lesson when I don't come up with one at all! Though after all of that, I am now certified in level 1 intructor for both English and Western, as well as trail. Whoop whoop! 
Skipping down...

Orientation. Where do I start?
It was hard to learn 90 girl's names! haha. Yes, 90 girls(plus myself) will be working at Camp Skyline this summer. Fun fun. Not only am I the youngest of the counselors, I am the only girl not in a sorority. Yikes.
So orientation mostly consisted of getting to know one another, games, training, and certifying CPR and First Aid. Yeah, I can totally save someone's life now :) haha. It was great and an amazing experience to say the least!
     It's funny, I had been hired as the head for the horses, but ended up being second in comand(God wanting me to learn humility after I let my competitiveness get the best of me). I wanted my horse to come with me to camp, and someone asked if they could lease her to use at Skyline. I wanted to work there, and out of hundreds of applicants, never even been to this camp or met anyone, I was hired. God must really want me here!
      I learned ALOT about how this camp runs, how to take care of campers, how to teach, and how to have fun, but nothing compared to my last night of orientation. I'm just gonna go ahead and say that I have never been on a prayer walk..in my life. And that's what we did our last night. We went around the whole camp, stopping at alot of places to pray for different things. We had four groups divided up going at different times to all the places praying. So literally, the camp was showered with prayers. It was amazing. The Lord was flowing right through me as i prayed, giving me the words to say. 
    As we got to the last spot for the night, I looked up at the sky. We were out in a huge open field used for circus. I've never seen that many stars before! It was beautiful. Then it came to my mind, something I had been thinking about since I got there. Why AM I here? I knew it was for a good reason. God had placed me here so obviously, I just needed to wait to see what comes next. Then my leader spoke. She said, as if reading my mind, "if you ever wonder why you are here, just look up." After that, I knew I was meant to be here. This summer is going to change my life.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post, Emmaline. So excited for you. Isn't it awesome when you just know that the Lord has put you in a particular place at a particular time. God's timing is the BEST! Love you.
    -- Patti (and Elizabeth -- who just told me tonight that she was AWESOME at riding horses!) Can't wait to see you. :))

    ReplyDelete